Wednesday, June 30, 2004

 

Fahrenheit 9/11

Saw the movie yesterday.

It suffers from it’s sledgehammer subtly. But it was a intentional polemic, so being subtle was not part of it’s mission.

Some of the cheap shots were funny and well deserved, some were not.

Still, in a time where political subtly is like whispering in a hurricane, Moore’s shout-at-the-top-of-his-lungs anti-Bush movie may be just what’s needed to jump-start conversations and mobilize voter turn out.

I was upset when I left, so I guess Mr. Moore accomplished something of his purpose with me.

I wasn't too uspet with the cheap shots, or the general tone of the movie. One expects something of that from Mr. Moore, and being a avid blog reader, I'd heard about much, though not all, of what Mr. Moore flogs in the movie.

I was upset about:

  1. A short piece of film....

    I'd seen it before, so I don't think I'm giving away anything. In it, Mr. Bush is talking to a group at some sort of white tie function and he calls them the haves and the have mores. He continues and says that some folks call them the elite, but he calls them his base.

    It drove home the disparity of wealth in this country and how those running it do so more for the haves and the have mores than they do for the rest of us. Lest I rant too much, I'll just say that corporatism is something that we are going to have to deal with in the United States at some point.

  2. Iraq....

    I don't really think I need to go any more into the lies and the callous way this administration took the United States into the conflict.

    Still, I was reminded of those things, and it upset me all over again.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?