Thursday, June 24, 2004

 

Bi-Weekly Columns Must Be Tough

Because this by Thomas Friedman is just plain silly.

I, by contrast, find myself wanting to say to my daughters: "Finish your homework — people in China and India are starving for your job."

Americans are loosing jobs overseas because we're not smart enough?

Please!

I applaud the fact that people in countries other than the United States are going to University and getting a good education. I believe strongly in education.

But we're not loosing jobs to overseas workers because we're not educated enough. No, I think we're loosing jobs to overseas workers because big corporations don't want to have to pay the workers in the United States the wages and benefits that they don't have to pay overseas workers.

Americans can have all the education they want, but until corporations beat domestic wages down to $90 a month, the jobs will go overseas where workers are cheaper at this point.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?